Wednesday, November 23, 2005

my computer as a mirror

the only reasons I don't play alot of computer games now is that a) my laptop is getting older and older and won't handle the things I want to play anymore, and b) I yell and scream at myself repeatedly to not do it - cos I get majorly addicted, and I loose what little life I create around me.
but when I do play - I like to play strategy type games (yes - 'girly' games) like Age of Empires, Pharoah and The Sims.

I've recently come to realise that my techniques playing these games say alot more about me as a person than I previously realised...
my main example for the moment is:
In the Sims (for those of you unaware) the real main goal of the game is to get a better career - cos with that comes more money, which brings nicer things etc etc. Oh how like life...
The way you do this is by getting promotions - reaching certain levels of attibutes in certain areas - depending on your career path.
Now, no matter which career path you take, the one thing that is the same for every thing is the amount of 'friends' you have. To really be happy - and succeed at work, you need to have certain amounts of 'family friends' - which are friends with points worth over 50 (out of 100) (I think, if I remember rightly). For every day that you don't see that friend, you go down a certain amount of points - which means that if you're not careful enough, you'll eventually loose any friendships that you have built.
Now, you have to balance the time you're at work, the time it takes your stupid little character to get around and feed itself, and the time to get friends to come over, or have parties.

I've never been fantastic at the Sims - I always get to a certain point, after which, I can't seem to progress any further - and you know why? It's the 'friends' factor... I seem unable to time manage properly to keep up the relationships that I create, so I guess my little dudes always end up lonely or some shit. The only way I'm able to kind of get past it, is to get one friend over - make them like me 100 points worth, and probably fall in love with them/have them fall in love with me - so that it will take longer for them to get under the 'friend' threshold. I then have to do this repeatedly - but while I'm making one friend reach 100, other friends will go down - so it's a tricky cycle. I'm just plain no good at it.

oh. how. like. life.

I can't for the life of me seem to let all my friends know that I actually really do care about them, and they're not always second best to me, and I want to be around them and that I love them dearly. I'm forever apologising to most people I know, for not being there, for not doing that or for always missing out on the important things.
It's so hard - my friends always seem to come in waves - there'll be weeks that I have nothing to do, that it's really hard to get anyone to do anything with me, that I get a little grumbly about having no one around to hang with... then there'll be other weeks where there's something to do every night of the week, and sometimes more than one thing, and i end up having to miss out on alot of stuff - and dissapointing others and myself. The problem is that they don't see my wave - so when I don't turn up, it's 'just Alia not coming again... how typical', not the actual situation of me desperately wanting to see them/go/whatever, but having to choose what gets done, and who gets seen.
I'm not trying to justify how I act - I'm pretty sure there are some of my friends who really do feel that I don't ever make the time for them, and always miss out on their important stuff... and I feel like such a little stinking shit for that... and I'm not saying I'm so desperately popular that everyone wants a piece of me - 'oh isn't life so hard?'...

Everyone who I have in my life, I really do love, and they are really important to me - because I don't really bother keeping people in my life that I don't really want there... I think I need to make a t-shirt saying something to that affect... or maybe a t-shirt for all my friends so that they each know... I'm not sure.

or maybe I need to seclude myself from the world and play more Sims? Practice makes Perfect?

6 Comments:

Blogger gun street girl said...

Yeah, you should just play more sims.
Develope strategies...etc....
Thgats what my ex-boyfriend did...very popular guy, lotsa people, lotsa points...
I never played the sims for long enough, do you get people that hate you, like enemies? or do they just become apathetic?
Is that worse?(personally I'd prefer indifference to hatred, but to some people lack of attention is worse)

12:32 PM  
Blogger ekstasis said...

ouch

no, people don't usually hate me unless I make them on purpose - ie: go up and slap them repeatedly, or kiss their boyfriends in front of them... this is in the game of course.

I'm not sure which is better. Perhaps indifference, although maybe they're the same...

2:08 PM  
Blogger ekstasis said...

I TOTALLY ROCK at that game!
we should have a championship one day - I'll leave you all for dust muthafuckers!!!!! hahahahhahahaaaaaaaaa

12:00 PM  
Blogger gun street girl said...

I once made the mistake of playing the sims befor I went to bed, all the people that featured in my dreams had options floating around their heads, Compiment, Invite, Ask, etc... kept waking up sweating...

3:37 PM  
Blogger Elyssium Earth said...

I have been known to play The Sims for hours and hours, ironically to the exclusion of my own hygeine, energy and cleanliness. I was always quite annoyed that my lil' simmy girl can't stay in bed unless she's actually tired. What kind of perversion is that?

5:52 PM  
Blogger ekstasis said...

I know, OH I know...

9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home