Saturday, January 07, 2006

still.... in..... china.....

knowing that it only cost me about 3 yuan last time (approximately 60 cents or so) to write blogs and emails and stuff, makes it slightly addictive!!!!

but: to business...
I promised to write about THE BEST NEW YEAR KNOWN TO MANKIND... or something to that affect didn't I?

WELL!!!!

Jess, Gareth (her boyfriend we're traveling with), Cindy, Ben (Her boyfriend who happens to be Gareth's brother), Carl (an aussie guy from Brissie who is teaching english here with Ben) and Clancy (yes, that's his name, and he happens to be American, and very annoying - also teaching english here) and me all got an illegal taxi into the city - sitting in the back of a very dirty, rickety old van... gareth bouncing around on the floor.... and met up with a friend of Cindy's in the 'embassy district' which is, you guessed it, a big place for foreigners. We all went to dinner at a 'fast food' restaurant, which really, was only slightly faster than everywhere else we'd been so far! Started drinking beers - you can get a long neck in a place like that for about 4 yuan - and we were off to a good start. 'Mary' - the dude we'd met up with, took us then to a little bar around the corner - which was really really cool. There was much debate about where to go, cos most of the places around there had pretty expensive cover charges and all that cos it was New Years, but where we ended up didn't, and it was especially cool to boot. I convinced everyone to get a round of Ansinth, and that started a trent for everyone to buy a round of drinks for everyone else - we took turns, and that worked out well. 8 Absinthe's only cost about 200 yuan, which is what... $40 or something? THen there was tequila, then beer then I had gin and tonics... and we started playing some drinking games and it was all good. But we were on some couches up the top of this place that had actually been booked by other people, and when they came, we had to leave. The rest of the place was packed, so we had to find somewhere else.
After wandering around the streets for a while, trying to find somewhere suitable, we eventually found a restaurant that had turned itself into a bar for the evening, that wasn't as 'cool' but was still nice. They were playing some western music, so even though it was like '50 cent' and all that... I could at least sing along and all.... hehehehe
Then a friend of Mary's came and met up with us - Peter - and we started playing the EVIL DRINKING GAME, which shall go down in history for ever as the MOST EVIL of DRINKING GAMES... basically you have this small dish and two dice - and you go around the circle and take turns in rolling. If you roll a 7, you have to fill a glass halfway with beer, if you roll an 8 you have to skull half of whatever's in the glass, if you roll a 9 you have to skull a full glass. If you roll doubles, you can choose someone else to skull a full glass. If one or both of the die roll out of the dish, you have to skull a full glass. AND, what makes it particularly evil, is that you have to keep rolling untill you get a number that's not one of those... meaning to say, you can (and I did) have to skull 3 or 4 glasses of beer, if you're unlucky enough, before it passes along to the next person. I lernt to be very afraid of the die after that night. And beer.
But it was alot alot alot of fun.
Upstairs was another little room, and the toilets, so while I was waiting for the toilet, I just started being silly with some of the people up there (dancing and stuff) and it turned out that they were all americans (quite nice ones) and that one of them was called ALIA - no shit! I've never met someone with my name before, and she spelt it the same way and everything. We ended up laughing and hugging alot and getting very excited - and she invited me to come drink champagne with her, but after I went to the loo I ended up just going back downstairs... but it was still very funny. They left soon after that, so I didn't get a chance to take everyone up there to join forces.
Then on another trip up there - I was waiting again, and Peter came out and went to go back down, but I grabbed his head with the intention of giving him a kiss on the cheek, just to be funny... but he ended up pashing me.... PASHING!!!! hehehehehe we spent the next, I don't even know how long, up there making out and doing all sorts of interesting thigns. I think I flashed my boobs to more than one person who came up those steps.... I think it's fairly safe to say that fuckapalooza has finally been started and kicked off in grand style. He wanted to take me back to his house, but I was too scared- being in a strange city that I couldn't even speak the language of and all... and not being able to get hom or anything. Also - from all our little things that we did... I found that he was..... well....... let's say...... very very very little................. which wasn't that big of a turn on. But it was still heaps and heaps of fun - and he seemed quite interested... he kept asking cindy about me apparently, and he took my phone no. and email address - but later another friend of theirs rang Cindy and said apparently I'd given him the wrong one or something.... they thought I'd done it on purpose- but I'd just been really really trashed, so I dont' know what I was doing. Turns out it's for the best though, cos I'm certainly not interested in anyting, and it turns out he's got a girlfriend or something anyway. Which is more than a little bit wrong... apparently they're 'on a break' or some bullshit. I mean - I dn't really care, in fact, it makes it easier to say 'no thank you' but... still.... blah.
But it was all SO much fun!
We ende up squeezing 5 of us into a normal taxi, with Gareth lying across our legs in the back... poor thing. I just sat there and tried not to be sick. Jess was as soon as we fell out of the taxi, and I think Cindy might have been at soem point too. What was scary was that for the whole time I was upstairs with Pete, they'd continued to play the drinkign game!!!!!!!!!!! I mean, I was fucked as it was... and they kept going!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (and had thrown popcorn everywhere, and lit bastkets on fire and all that kind of stuf... crazy...)

But yeah - fun fun fun fun.... hehehehehhehehehe fuckapalooza baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hehehehehe


now, I can't be bothered writing about everything else that's happened, but I'll give you the highlights from an email that I just wrote mum:

I am VERY happy! Everything is so much fun here! Yesterday we just went to the supermarket, and I enjoyed that just as much as when we went to one of the touristy places and took photos. Everything's so different - like, this supermarket we went to was over 3 levels high, and all the products were so different! We managed to get a small jar of Dolmio sauce (Jess and Gareth want to make spaghettie) but it was hard to find ordinary pasta. And forget about tinned tomatoes - they don't exist here. The supermarket also had a small section of clothes and bags... and there's ready to eat food stalls and everything. It's crazy! there are also soooo many staff it's not funny - they're everywhere just standing around. You can barely look at anything without having one hang over your shoulder... and the cadbury chocolate bars had magnetic security strips in them... I guess they're an expensive item or something. Most of what we bought from the supermarket was junk - because no one really cooks for themselves in the city. When we go to Cindy's parent's place apparently we'll get plenty of home-cooked meals, but around here, everyone just goes out to the restaurants... and that means FATTY FOOD as well - I think I can forget about loosing weight here... everythings dripping in oil - even just a plate of bok choy and mushrooms... cos it's all about TASTE, of which there is alot... :) Everything has cucumber in it too, which is odd.. but tasty too. I don't think i'd ever had cooked cucumber before I came here, but it's in almost every dish...

I realy really miss my music though - I wish I could have brought my ipod with me after all... I'm going to start going crazy if I don't have something I can have a good sing-along to... after this, I'm going to go to one of the dvd/cd shops around here and try and buy a couple of things... for around 10 yuan (or $2) you can't really go wrong....

Last night was heaps of fun as well - we went to a Public Bath-house, which was awesome. Well... it's a bath house, but also a brothel, or so I'm told - we didn't go for the 'special massage' of course, but we did get to have a nice long shower (which, after the system here at Bed and Cindy's was such a luxury) and sit in the sauna and get a body scrub.... ALL COMPLETELY NAKED - which was very confronting. Actually, we al found that it was more the act of getting naked infront of each other (just the girls by the way, there were seperate places for the girls and boys) than actually just being naked... does that make sense? I mean, once we were and having showers and all that, it was fine... but it was just the taking off of clothes that was hard. But then we got to put on silk pyjamas and we went up to this big room that was full of Chez Lounges (or however you spell it - ROman Sofas?) in which the boys were already reclining like Roman Emperors, smoking cigarets and drinknig beer... it was very funny. We then got foot massages that lasted for 45 minutes while lying there together, and then there was a show that we whatched, and a free buffet (the buffet's quality was questionable.. but it didn't matter). The show was strange to whatch, partly cos there was a whole comedy section that we didn't understand - cos of course it was in CHINESE.. and there was a guy who was doing a show that involved stabbing himself through the arm with a needle and haning a bucket of water from it.... breathing fire through sawdust packed in his mouth.... and SWALLOWING A LIVE SNAKE AND THEN BRINGING IT BACK UP...... it was GROOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSEEEEEEE and a little disturbing. but, 'that's entertainment' I guess....
Then we all got a full body massage - done of course by the ladies of the house, which I'm told are the prostitutes. I managed to score a nice looking boy who turned out to only be 20 years old... Cindy kept telling me that she thought he was interested in me... but if he was 'for hire' as well... of course he's going to flirt. It was very funny though - they kept trying to talk in very very broken english to us.. and asking us questions. One question he asked me was 'how many kilo's are you?'.... ouch. I think he was just being cheeky.... but still.... ouch.

we're going back there before we leave, cos it was so relaxing and nice. I felt so amazingly decadent and everythign.... that was the life, I'll tell yoU!!!!

My market experiences have been crazy and wild, but the boys just don't have enough stamina to keep up with me/us... so I havn't really bought much stuff yet... I think they're going to have to drop us off one day (or at least drop ME off) and let me do a days worth at one place. I am looking forward to going to Chengdu though, cos there's a large Tibetan culture there, and I'm looking forward to being able to shop there too!!!!!!!!!!
oh, one market we went to I saw the MOST AMAZINNGLY beautiful coat - and after talking to them, they said they could custom tailor one for me... and that I could have it in a week. It was going to end up costing only like $150AU (expensive for around here... but not for a really good coat from where I come from!) and it was all good and I payed a deposit and everything, but then Cindy got a call and they said that all the workers have gone home for Chinese New Year, so it won't be done for ages. (they would have known that int h first place, which annoys me) but I think what I'm going to do is get it done anyway, then later, Cindy can post it to me... I think it's worth it!
________________

there.

I'll leave it at that for the moment.
Update again soon....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home